Re: Source only upload

Quoting mattia@debian.org (2020-07-21 11:35:30)
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 11:11:13AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > The reason we don't do this is because of bootstrapping: some tools
> > require themselves to build, so you need to cross-build them on a
> > different architecture, upload the cross-built binary, get an exception
> > for that upload, and then re-upload the same version so it gets built on
> > the buildds. If you have a solution for that issue that allows not
> > accepting bootstrapped binaries in unstable, then by all means suggest
> > it. Otherwise I think the current situation is the best possible
> > solution given the requirements that exist.
>
> All considering, an extra, special field in the .changes that instruct
> dak to just not throw away the binaries just for that specific upload would
> be more than enough to do what you say.

https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec#The_Built-For-Profiles_field

Built-For-Profiles: nopython

Ideally, a source-only upload would happen, some component would analyze the
build-profiles annotation and figure out in which order to build packages so
that build-dependency cycles are broken by doing non-default builds with some
profile active, and then building the packages accordingly.

Since that component is missing, dak could accept uploads of a changes file
that contains the instructions with which build profile to build a package, so
that some binary packages are generated that allow the full build in a second
pass.

Thanks!

cheers, josch