Re: /usr/bin/tx: transifex-client and afdko shipping binaries under the same name

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 11:52:15PM +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 6:48 PM Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > If we start allowing conflicts between completely unrelated packages
> > it might not end well in the long run.
>
> We already have had situations where related packages effectively
> conflict, for example for a while mypaint and gimp couldn't be
> installed together on the same system running testing.

It is even in stable.
And it is a pain for users.

Marginally better than not shipping mypaint at all.

> > Imagine the GNU Interactive Tools would still provide /usr/bin/git
> > with such a Conflicts.
>
> IMO that wouldn't have been a big problem given the relative
> popularity of the two packages.

The binary package git were the GNU Interactive Tools.

Which of the two packages would command-not-found suggest
when a user tried to execute git with neither installed?

What would happen if some popular package would add a dependency
on the GNU Interactive Tools?
The gimp/mypaint situation was a fixable bug,
this would be a permanent split of the archive.

> bye,
> pabs

cu
Adrian