Re: /usr/bin/tx: transifex-client and afdko shipping binaries under the same name

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 03:05:26AM +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 1:40 AM Yao Wei wrote:
>
> > There's a serious bug when I am uploading afdko package, that one of the
> > binaries in this package "tx" has name conflicting with
> > transifex-client.
>
> As transifex-client is client for the proprietary Transifex service,
> personally I would just add a conflict.

Policy says this is not an option, and I agree with policy.

If we start allowing conflicts between completely unrelated packages
it might not end well in the long run.

Imagine the GNU Interactive Tools would still provide /usr/bin/git
with such a Conflicts.

> Also talk to upstream about choosing a more appropriate name for the
> tx program, that is way too short even if it weren't conflicting with
> another package.

I would agree with that, my first thought was whether there is also
an rx program...

> bye,
> pabs

cu