Re: /usr/bin/tx: transifex-client and afdko shipping binaries under the same name

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 09:35:35AM +0800, Yao Wei wrote:
> I am currently considering doing it by moving all binaries of afdko from
> /usr/bin to /usr/bin/afdko, and then creating another package
> afdko-legacy, that, similar to node-legacy before node changed the name
> to ax25-node, symlinks all binaries from /usr/bin/afdko back to
> /usr/bin.

This was a one-time decision, it is not a general procedure.

> This will decrease the mess of one package having multiple
> binaries, and ensure the compatibility of font building scripts that
> invokes afdko tx.  Does it require CTTE agreement since afdko-legacy is
> also in conflict with tx?

Yes.

Cases like node or git or chromium where a very popular new program
(unintentionally) steals the name of a fringe program are rare.

This looks like the common case where two fringe packages both use
a far too generic name for a program, and the older package might
have users using it with this name in stable releases.

> Thanks,
> Yao Wei

cu
Adrian