Re: trends.debian.net updated

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 09:11:57PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:
> >>
> >> One could deprecate old Standards-Version and require a version not that
> >> was not superceded for more than five years.
> >
> > That's not what Standards-Version means.
> >
> > You don't get to say "I know my package does not comply with current
> > Policy, but the Standards-Version claims an old version of Policy so
> > that's fine". You must always be compliant with current policy (in
> > unstable), and if policy changes in ways that apply to your package, you
> > need to update it.
> >
> > One of my packages, logtool, hasn't seen an upstream change since the
> > early naughties, and as a result there are 7 years between logtool
> > 1.2.8-8 and logtool 1.2.8-9.
> >
> > That however didn't mean it wasn't maintained, just that it didn't need
> > any update in 7 years.
> >
> > The only reason for Standards-Version to exist is so that when you or
> > whoever comes after you look at things a few days/weeks/months/years
> > down the line, you know what has changed in Policy since it was last
> > touched and can use upgrading-checklist.txt
>
> In my understanding the Standards-Version documents up to which policy
> version a package was checked for compliance.

Yes.

> One could expect from maintainers that they check their packages for
> compliance regularly and that they document that.

Perhaps, but it is *also* documented that an upload just to bump the
Standards-Version is severely frowned upon. If there is no other reason
to upload in 7 years, then the Standards-Version will not be updated,
and that is perfectly fine.

> For a package that had no documented check for seven years it is OK to
> file an RC bug in order to clarify the compliance.

Hell no.

If you find that the 7-year-old package does not comply with policy in
some way because it is outdated (or for whatever other reason), then
sure, by all means file a bug at correct severity (RC if it is that).
But "this package is feature-complete and hasn't required an update in
seven years" is a feature, not a bug.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22