Re: length of Debian copyright files

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 03:43:17PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> Debian:
> https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/g/gtk%2B4.0/copyright-3.98.0-1
> plus we ship the LGPL in base-files' common-licenses.

This kind of insanity is actually why I refuse to use the
machine-parseable copyright format.

Nobody cares that some file somewhere deep down in the source tree is
perhams maybe somewhat more permissive than the license on the whole. If
the license on the whole is a copyleft license, then that file somewhere
deep down is made available to you as that copyleft license, due to
"copyleft".

Anything else is insanity, and I refuse to waste my time on it.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22