Re: length of Debian copyright files

Quoting Wouter Verhelst (2020-04-11 10:36:44)
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 03:43:17PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > Debian:
> > https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/g/gtk%2B4.0/copyright-3.98.0-1
> > plus we ship the LGPL in base-files' common-licenses.
>
> This kind of insanity is actually why I refuse to use the
> machine-parseable copyright format.
>
> Nobody cares that some file somewhere deep down in the source tree is
> perhams maybe somewhat more permissive than the license on the whole. If
> the license on the whole is a copyleft license, then that file somewhere
> deep down is made available to you as that copyleft license, due to
> "copyleft".
>
> Anything else is insanity, and I refuse to waste my time on it.

You seem to conflate two issues:

 a) writing debian/copyright in a machine-parsable format
 b) writing debian/copyright with too much detail included

Please use the machine-readable format because then machines can help
us. If you find it insane how detailed machine-readable format _can_ be,
then please use the format _without_ the insanity.

You can have a) without b) - e.g. like this:

Format: https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
Upstream-Name: GTK
Source: https://download.gnome.org/sources/gtk/
License: LGPL-2.1+

Files: *
Copyright: The GTK Team and others
License: LGPL-2+ and LGPL-2.1+
Comment:
 Specific authors omitted (unneeded for this license, and list is long).

If ftp-masters then file bugreports about missing or too vague entries,
you lower that to lower severity (if you are confident that it really
is) and take it to the tech-CTTE if that causes a dispute.

If ftp-masters then reject the package with missing or too vague entries
being their reason, you bring that up here on -devel, because that's a
different praxis than they currently give the impression that they are
follow (nowadays - how they did in the past is irrelevant here).

 - Jonas