Re: OpenStack release & Debian [was: What to do when DD considers policy to be optional?]

On 2020-04-09 22:27:31 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 4/9/20 6:09 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> > for example I anticipate an interest in expiring releases
> > prior to the current one a bit faster because it will mean not
> > having to continue supporting Python 2.7 within the test
> > infrastructure for as long.
>
> What does it mean for let's say Rocky? (which is fully Python 3 in
> Debian already)?
[...]

Very tough to know at this early stage, but the challenge is that
while most of the software was tested to work in Python3-only
environments over the past 2+ years, there was still a lot of
ancillary testing and automation in the CI for those older branches
which needed to be overhauled to remove all lingering traces of
Python2 use. It will probably boil down to whether anyone is
sufficiently motivated to do the work to backport all of that
testing and automation uplift to those earlier branches.
--
Jeremy Stanley