Re: What to do when DD considers policy to be optional? [kubernetes]

On 3/25/20 11:45 PM, Marc Haber wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 20:37:16 +0000, Jeremy Stanley <fungi@yuggoth.org>
wrote:
If this represents the actual state of building Kubernetes, it's
unclear to me why Debian would package it at all. I don't see the
value to users in consuming Kubernetes from a Debian package if the
result is compromising on Debian's vision and values so that they
can get the exact same thing they'd have if they just used the
Kubernetes community's recommended tooling to install it instead.
I'm all for using the best tool for the job, and while I've been a
die-hard Debian user for more than two decades I also don't install
every last bit of software from its packages. Some software
ecosystems have chosen to focus on tools and workflows which are
incompatible with Debian's, but that doesn't mean that either one is
inherently bad nor that they need to be integrated at all costs.
Software packages like kubernetes, docker, and many of the other "hip
tools of the day" are moving way too fast for our release scheme.
Additionally, many communities and developers stop caring for their
software once it has cleared the door and laugh upon people who are
using anything but their latest release.

I think we're not doing the world a favor packaging those software and
releasing it with our stable release [...]

Docker release cycle is not that fast anymore. The current 19.03 branch has been maintained by upstream for 10 months now. Not that bad. I think it makes it a valuable package for Debian stable.

https://www.docker.com/blog/extending-support-cycle-docker-community-edition/

https://docs.docker.com/engine/release-notes/#version-1903