Re: FTP Team -- call for volunteers

Hi Scott,

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:43:33PM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> As long as there are people involved, a certain amount of it is
> inevitable.  Putting it in the requirements is bowing to reality.  The
> FTP Team sometimes has to make unpopular decisions and it's inevitable
> that people won't always react well.
>
> If Sean hadn't mentioned it, I think it would have been a disservice
> to potential volunteers.  People should know what they are signing up
> for.  Honestly it's not a lot of the feedback, most of what we get
> back is positive, but it's enough that it's worth mentioning.

I think that mentioning it is absolutely the right thing to do, and I'm
certainly aware (having been release manager for *mumble* years) that
unpopular decisions can lead to unpleasant reactions.

I think my point is that we should strive to reach the point where it's
not inevitable, and that our reality can change. It should never be the
case that making a hard decision leads to abusive messages, and I
believe as a project we must act to try and achieve this goal.

For leadership roles, such as release manager, or ftp master, I think
it's doubly important. Putting aside the issue of current volunteers,
and the project's duty to ensure a safe and welcoming environment, this
affects the overall ability for the project to attract new volunteers at
all.

These key posts can be aspirational for new contributors - the concept
that one day you could be an ftp-master is attractive. However, if we
accept that in order to reach one of these key roles you have to be
willing to accept a certain level of abuse, then we have failed to
produce that welcoming community, and will fail to attract and retain a
diverse and thriving team.

This is obviously not something that ftp-masters can solve, but I think
it is useful to highlight this issue for the wider project.

Thanks,
Neil