Re: documenting on how not starting a daemon upon installation

On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 08:47 -0400, Marvin Renich wrote:
> I think the OP's question was not about creating a package with a
> daemon
> that is disabled by default, but about preventing an existing
> package,
> that would otherwise start its daemon, from starting it.

That was my understanding also.

> As for the other poster who seems to be advocating an approach which
> combines policy-rc.d and diverting or replacing files in /bin and
> /usr/bin, I believe that is neither necessary nor appropriate in the
> general case.  For the specific cases of debootstrap and live-build,
> there might very well be other reasons for diverting system binaries
> (or
> it could be left over from before the implementation of policy-rc.d),
> but let's not cargo-cult this into inappropriate situations.

If you mean me, I was not so much advocating the use of the dpkg-divert
or policy-rc.d solutions used by live-build/deboostrap, but merely
informing the OP what solutions are in use by these Debian project
tools, wrt. to the mess of hacks found in the provided link.

If the policy-rc.d solution is the modern/best/whatever solution, the
fact that live-build/debootstrap also includes the 'moving start-stop-
daemon' trick is either indeed a left over from before systemd (I do
not know the history of it), or is left to ensure compatibility without
systemd?, because of course for a long time systemd has been considered
a choice, and perhaps still is (not that I want to start another
systemd vs alternatives discussion).