Re: documenting on how not starting a daemon upon installation

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 04:02:52PM +0100, Tomas Pospisek wrote:

> In my logic, finding out how "not to start services on install" should
> be documented in `man dpkg` or referenced from that man page. As far as
> I could see there is absolutely no trace of any hint on how to do that
> in that man page.

I'd expect to find this information in Policy, since it's a matter of
system integration and package-to-package interaction. Dpkg has no control
over whether a postinst starts a daemon or not.

For init.d based init systems, policy 9.3.3.1 indeed documents exactly what
you need to do to install a daemon that is disabled by default. This
section should be extended to document the interface for systemd.

   Simon