Re: Announcing miniDebConf Montreal 2020 -- August 6th to August 9th 2020

On 2020-02-21 09:11:56 +0100 (+0100), Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
[...]
> So I believe the best the DebConf organization can do is to try to
> rotate the excluded categories as much as possible (depending also on
> the available bids). This will never be fair, there always will be
> people who are more excluded than others, because this is the reality:
> there are people who are more privileged than others (disclaimer: I am
> aware I am in the privileged category by basically all point of view;  I
> am happy of that, but I know it is just luck). DebConf cannot
> unfortunately fix this, the best it can do is to mitigate it as I said.
[...]

Further, political exclusivity can be misleading. I work with a
nonprofit which puts on some fairly large conferences every year. In
recent years we've seen increasing pressure from our attendees to
stop considering locations within the USA due to concerns over
inability to qualify for entry visas (coupled with no-fly lists and
the risk of being turned around at their port of entry), but each
time we've held an event in Canada we see a significantly higher
proportion of our global attendees who are unable to obtain a visa
and/or enter. As it turns out, Canada is actually more picky about
who it will let visit than the USA is, it's just not as well-known
for that.
--
Jeremy Stanley