Re: Announcing miniDebConf Montreal 2020 -- August 6th to August 9th 2020

Hi,

Il 20/02/20 10:29, Zlatan Todoric ha scritto:
> So, could we avoid in future places that are politically very sensitive?
> No country is perfect but some are really not needed to go through when
> we have more "calm" choices.

I don't think this criterion is too important when evaluation a DebConf
bid. Of course you don't want to go to areas with military activity or
other risks for the physical security of DebConf attendees, and of
course you want to exclude the least possible number of people. But
always disqualifying location bids on the ground that it would be
exclusive because of reasons not in control of the DebConf organizers
would be exclusive as well, I think. It would essentially give a
privilege to those countries and people who, by historical legacy, do
not find themselves implied in territorial disputes.

So I believe the best the DebConf organization can do is to try to
rotate the excluded categories as much as possible (depending also on
the available bids). This will never be fair, there always will be
people who are more excluded than others, because this is the reality:
there are people who are more privileged than others (disclaimer: I am
aware I am in the privileged category by basically all point of view;  I
am happy of that, but I know it is just luck). DebConf cannot
unfortunately fix this, the best it can do is to mitigate it as I said.
Again, I know I am on the winning side here: the time there will be a
bid in a place where white male heterosexuals western Europeans are not
welcome, I'll be glad to support it.

Also, I believe that the concept of "calm" choices is very subjective.
To me Kosovo is as much "calm" as India. I think that the average
Pakistani would consider Kosovo much "calmer" than India. The word
"calm" sounds objective, but our usage of it (and of similar words) is
often very subjective. It is hard, but I believe we should try to avoid
this mistake, and use subjective expressions when other people could
conceivably have different opinions.

Thanks, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani@gmail.com>
Postdoc researcher - Université Libre de Bruxelles