Re: Is there still a point in installing libgcrypt to /lib instead of /usr/lib

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 at 09:31:51 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> I agree that what Guillem is proposing also does not have the property,
> which I think is one that is important to you?, that the contents of the
> root directory are decoupled from /usr (can be set up by an initramfs
> or a container-runner, perhaps in a tmpfs, without detailed knowledge
> of the OS installation in /usr).

Or perhaps Guillem is intending that in n years' time, when no package
in Debian (not even libc6!) ships files in /bin /sbin /lib* in its
data.tar.*, *then* the maintainer-script-maintained symlink farms in /bin
/sbin /lib* can be replaced by symlinks bin -> usr/bin, etc., without
this resulting in anything dpkg-managed being overwritten or aliased?

If that's the case, then we get that desirable property *eventually* under
this proposal, but not any time soon.

    smcv