Re: GSoC projects about SUSI.AI

On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 01:10:36PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> What do you mean "packages involved". The core ML related package is by
> now not completely free (snowboy) thus we have prepared a project that
> also tries to incorporate Mycroft or some other OSS hotword module
> which allows for user-provided training.

"Packages involved" means the packages that you intend to upload to our
archive. The freeness of plain text files (e.g. code) is easy to judge.
When you have doubt whether to upload a binary blob (pretrained model)
to main or contrib, feel free to ask me publically.

For example, these looks like typical questionable models:
https://github.com/Kitt-AI/snowboy/tree/master/resources/models
Without corresponding training data (FOSS-licensed) being publically
available, these models should not be considered free regardless of
the license of the binary blobs.

> By now we use snowboy with a model trained using recordings we have
> provided. In the future, as said, we want something that is completely
> DFSG compliant, this is one of the aims.

Great.

> What are the definitions of DFSG-compliant for models? I guess that is
> written in [1]

I interpret DFSG-compliant model as the "Free Model" defined in [1].
I need to update the document when I got enough free time to do so.

> I agree, this is a complicated area and I think we can make good
> progress with proper compliance with DFSG during GSOC.

Good luck.