Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 10:45:05AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:

> > > No. I just don't want default to change. IMHO rationale for this is weak
> > > but everybody keeps arguing that it would not be a big deal. In time we will
> > > see how that goes (what could possibly go wrong?) but why do the change in
> > > first place?
> >
> > To not have logs duplicated in two places.
>
> If this is your motivation for the change it is a _very_ weak one, right? Disk
> space is not a crucial problem anymore.

I have been using computers for three decades now. All that time, people
have been saying "disk space is cheap nowadays". Yet all that same time,
my disks have been hovering around ~95% full.

Disk space is, and will always remain, a "crucial problem". If we have
more disk space, that just means people will find novel ways of filling
it up to the brink.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard