Debian With Alternate Init Systems

    Svante> When is
    Svante> Debian ever to offer a non-systemd alternative for
    Svante> installation?

I hear your frustration that you'd like to see Debian committed to
supporting alternate init systems.
I do understand you value that and have spent a lot of time on it.

Unfortunately, I think that Debian has decided that's not directly our
focus.

In the most recent GR, we committed to providing people the tools they
need to explore and develop alternate init systems.

So, what would it take for us to offer  a non-systemd varient for
installation?
Someone would have to develop something that the project looked at and
said, yeah, that's worth supporting as a first-class alternative to
systemd.

My take on the GR--and certainly my intent in writing proposal B--is
that would take a new decision of the project.

I understand that you and many in the project believe that existing
alternative init systems meet that bar today.  My take on the GR is that
the project as a whole does not support that conclusion.

You're welcome to work on any of the existing alternate init systems.
You are welcome to propose patches to make them work better with other
things.
People may or may not take those patches.
It's okay even if the reason they don't take those patches is they don't
want to support the alternate init system you are working on.

Yes, this may mean that the support for a particular alternate init
system may be better in a downstream that focuses on that system than in
Debian itself.

Again, I do understand that this is painful to hear.

--Sam