Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

On February 5, 2020 8:43:43 AM UTC, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
>Hi Scott

>> >manipulate text
>> >journalctl, how
>> >
>> >journalctl -f SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER=2
>> >
>> Do syslog facilities really have to be addressed by number rather
>than name?  That seems like a horrible interface.
>
>That's because you asked a pretty specific question and you've been
>told the exact replacement.
>
>However, you most likely don't actually want to tail this specific
>file.
>It is a solution for a more abstract problem, e.g. "I want to see logs
>from Postfix".  And this question got a different answer.

Yes, it's been demonstrated that what I'm after won't be impossible with journalctl, only far more difficult.  And yes, I quite frequently find myself tailing that specific file because it has exactly the information I need.  Please don't explain to me what I want like you understand it better than I do.

I understand the premise that journalctl offers the promise of better interfaces to system logs.  I think it's a long way from that now and I don't think my uses of system logs are particularly niche.

Scott K