Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

On February 5, 2020 8:44:43 PM UTC, Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:
>On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 11:01:08 AM AEDT Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> We just had a GR where the project voted it was just fine to systemd
>all
>> the things, so this sort of thing is to be expected.
>
>Are you suggesting that voters fully understood the implications?
>Is this OK now to replace everything with systemd counterparts?
>
>I certainly voted with considerations for _init_ system.
>
>If I recall correctly, no GR option suggested to "use as much systemd
>components as possible" or I think the outcome of GR could have been
>different...
>
>Anyway the big disadvantage of changing default is that now random
>Debian
>systems will have no traditional logging interface (rsyslog) and we're
>all
>will be forced to adapt to the new interface in the absence of old one
>on
>some systems...

I think you need to go reread the option that won.

I make no claims about what others understood or didn't, but to me this is exactly the kind of thing that the winning option makes likely.  That doesn't mean I like it, but we had a GR, now we're stuck with it.

Scott K