Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 13:32 +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Currently yes.  There is an upstream bug asking for a way to
> > specify
> > them by name[1], but nobody implemented it yet.
> >
> > I think a `--facility` option should be fairly easy to
> > implement.  Just
> > adapt some code from the existing `--identifier` and `--priority`
> > options, there is already a method to translate facility names to
> > numbers (see calls to `log_facility_unshifted_from_string`).
> >
> > Ansgar
> >
> >  [1]: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/9716
>
> Thanks.  That seems like a pretty basic feature.

It is easy to implement, but systemd upstream seems not to like the
rather inflexible syslog facilities which don't cover all services
people run.  Journalctl can display logs for abitrary groups of
services, e.g.

$ journalctl --since=-1h -u dovecot -u "postfix@*" -u dkimpy-milter -u dkimpy-milter-verify

which would give similar results as looking at mail.log.

Ansgar