Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 07:44 +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Do syslog facilities really have to be addressed by number rather than name?  That seems like a horrible interface.

Currently yes.  There is an upstream bug asking for a way to specify
them by name[1], but nobody implemented it yet.

I think a `--facility` option should be fairly easy to implement.  Just
adapt some code from the existing `--identifier` and `--priority`
options, there is already a method to translate facility names to
numbers (see calls to `log_facility_unshifted_from_string`).

Ansgar

  [1]: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/9716