Re: Is running dpkg-buildpackage manually from the command line forbidden?

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 08:50:25AM -0800, Daniel Schepler wrote:

> I've been running a manual test bootstrap of Debian (starting with
> cross-compiled packages amd64 -> i386 up to the point I was able to
> install debhelper), and posting a few bugs I've found along the way.
> These are where I found that having extra packages installed during
> the dpkg-buildpackage run either failed or resulted in broken
> packages.  (Some examples of the type of thing I mean: #948522,
> #887902.)

I would expect a sensible package build to not depend on package
relationships that aren't declared, in either way, but things in /usr/local
are outside the control of the package system.

So a package that enables an optional feature if a particular other package
is installed, but there is neither a build dependency nor a build conflict
declared is a bug to me.

The Build-Conflicts should still be avoided, by an explicit configure
option "disable this feature".

   Simon