Re: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dballe

    Paul> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 4:11 PM Wouter Verhelst wrote:
    >> You'll make it unnecessarily harder to bootstrap environments that need
    >> themselves to build if you do that.

    Paul> The idea here is that bootstrap builds are special and so they should
    Paul> be very explicit rather than happen as a side effect of regular upload
    Paul> workflows. Since they are relatively rare, making them explicit via
    Paul> this mechanism shouldn't be too much of an imposition and on balance
    Paul> might be the right way to go.

Bootstrap uploads of compilers etc are actually more common than I
thought before I started following debian-release.
They are common enough that requiring interactions from ftpmaster and/or
release team would make being a developer of such packages suck
significantly more.

If we throw away binaries by default, I do believe we need a mechanism
for maintainers to signal that this is a bootstrap upload.

--Sam