Re: opentmpfiles & opensysusers, and its use in the Debian policy

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 9:22 PM Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> My proposal is for Debian to standardize on:
> /bin/tmpfiles
>
> and:
> /usr/bin/sysusers

I don't understand why we need these.

The advantages of sysusers.d and tmpfiles.d are that you don't need to
call some magic scripts.
You only need to write declarative configuration files.

On systemd system, they are handled by systemd-sysusers.service and
systemd-tmpfiles-*.service.
You really don't need to care where the binaries are located.

On openrc system, I think they are handled by corresponding init services too.
https://github.com/OpenRC/opentmpfiles/tree/master/openrc

[...]
> opensysusers if a package is using /usr/bin/sysusers. I'm not sure why
> there's both /bin/systemd-sysusers and /usr/bin/systemd-sysusers, and
> which one should be used. Maybe Michael, you know?

Where is /usr/bin/systemd-sysusers? at least not in testing.

--
Shengjing Zhu