Re: Bits from /me: A humble draft policy on "deep learning v.s. freedom"

On Thu, 23 May 2019, Andy Simpkins wrote:
> Your wording "The model /should/be reproducible with a fixed random
> seed." feels correct but wonder if guidance notes along the following
> lines should be added?

Reproducing exact results from a deep learning model which requires
extensive computation is fairly hard. On top of knowing the exact state
of the system at the initiation of the computation, it requires that
entire computation to be deterministic. Deterministic execution may
require unacceptable performance tradeoffs in larger analyses.

Reproducible builds are hard enough, and those generally don't involve
coprocessors.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

I made a bunch of stickers
to put on rooftops, and in secret tunnels.
"If you are reading this,
 then you are awesome"
 -- a softer world #569
    http://www.asofterworld.com/index.php?id=569