Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git [and 1 more messages]

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 04:14:00PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > [Ian Jackson:]
> > >
> > > could you be so kind and provide a pointer, this thread is rather long
> > > already? (Maybe this is also worth an FAQ entry somewhere..)
>
> I meant this message:
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2019/05/msg00065.html

thanks for the pointer, but I don't see the string debcheckout in that
message and vcs-git only once, where you write:

---begin quote---

>From these we can conclude:

 * Debian should provide source code as git branches which:
      - can be built using a standard set of runes
      - will produce the same binaries as official Debian ones
      - can be reliably located
      - can be easily modified (using standard git commands)
      - contain the git histories we are actually using ourselves

There is only one way to do this.  It is `dgit push[-source]'.

Vcs-Git and Salsa do not provide this.

---end quote---

and I'm not sure I agree this is true, to me Vcs-Git and Salsa do provide all
of this, *if* Vcs-Git is set.

And if it's not set, it's either because the package is not in git or because
d/control is lacking information, aka the package is buggy.

So, IOW, I can see problems with individual packages here but not with the
general workflow/tool of using vcs-git: and debcheckout.

(or what am I missing?)

--
tschau,
	Holger