Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On 2019/05/08 13:23, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> You should use dgit for the benefit of users.  See my other mail which
>> answers why Vcs-Git and debcheckout is not enough.
>
> could you be so kind and provide a pointer, this thread is rather long
> already? (Maybe this is also worth an FAQ entry somewhere..)

I'd like to second that request, I mean to go through this thread again
when I have some free moments, but a FAQ would help a lot to assimilate
all this information.

(I'm in a similar boat to Holger with my experience to gbp, I tried
going through the documentation on the wiki a few times and just got
frustrated. I just use packaging and Vcs-fields and tags and nothing
fancier than that, which works for the few dozen packages I have and I
think the workflow is trivial enough so that downstream consumers
wouldn't have any problem whatsoever figuring out how to make use of it,
but I suppose as that list grows it will become important to have
worflows that scale up a bit more.)

> thanks. (also for the work and thoughts you put into dgit!)

Ditto.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage