Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 07:25:39PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> A maintainer who is currently using gbp pq can (and IMO generally
> should) use `dgit push' to do their uploads, rather than dput/dupload.

as a data point: I never really got my head around gbp, too many times
it came in the way, did things I didnt expect to do (or couldnt easily
figure out what it did), so I basically (try to) avoid packages which
require gbp in some way.

dgit *is* another layer of complexity on top of debuild and git (and other
tools), as is gbp, and frankly (or sadly?), for the dgit case I dont see
much benefit why I should use it rather than dput: my packages are
maintained in git and have the correct Vcs-Git* headers set, so
debcheckout will do the right thing and give you the full git history.

I *do* appreciate the idea of dgit and the work put into it, I think it
goes into the right direction, but to me it's not sliced bread yet, but
rather a fancy new machine for slicing bread which is more complicated
and harder to grasp, so I'm still on that old slicing machine, which I
know since many years and which I can easily fix if the bread gets stuck
or the knifes need resharpening or some such.

--
tschau,
	Holger