Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On 2019-05-07, Ansgar <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:
> The concept behind 3.0 (quilt) is much easier to explain: extract
> tarballs, optionally apply some patches provided.  With the bonus that
> users who have used other distributions before might already know about
> most of this which lowers barrier of entry.  Implementation details
> like constructing a .dsc are indeed messy.

I currently work with some yocto guys trying to get some of their
recipes adapted to better multilib support. I've been pointing to
debian/rules and debian/patches/* as places to find inspiration for
"weird things". The fact that the packages in question have been in 3.0
(quilt) with either a only-debian repository or full upstream source
have been very easy to glance over.

So from an external-ish PoV, current state of things is very nice.

But of course, it is not our primary customers. But probably our
secondary ones.

/Sune