Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On Thu, 2019-05-02 at 09:15 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ansgar <ansgar@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Having to know about branches, merging, dealing with multiple remotes,
> > ... *is* an entry barrier compared to not having to know about it.  Now
> > you have to teach people that before you even get to how to write a
> > build recipe.
>
> I'm confused.  I'm a happy user of dgit and don't have to think about any
> of those things as part of using dgit.  I choose to use branches, but I
> certainly wouldn't have to, and merging, multiple remotes, and so forth
> don't seem related to using dgit at all.

How do you update the package to a new upstream release?

The "dgit" repository is also separate from the "real" repository; if
you just use "dgit clone ${something}" you won't get the current
"master" branch (unless it happens to be identical to the last
release), or totally different if the maintainer doesn't use dgit.

The history is also strange if you "dgit clone" a repository where the
maintainer used dgit in the past, but no longer does.  Now you have a
commit tree with multiple roots which is also confusing for people.

All of this is very uncommon outside the dgit world.

Ansgar