Re: Please drop anacron from task-desktop

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 15:06:16 -0500, Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 09:02:23PM +0100, Holger Wansing wrote:
>>> I'm actually wondering if this is a good idea..
>>>
>>> There are lot of other packages installing cronjobs and people, I would
>>> assume, expect that they will run.
>>>
>>> I would personally revert his patch as long as all the cronjobs have not
>>> a corresponding systemd .timer
>>
>>Any thoughts on this?
>
>What's the downside to having anacron there if a .timer supersedes the
>cron job?

.timer units run all in parallel, which causes unpleasant load spikes
which can even be more unpleasant if many VMs are spiking together on
a virtualization host.

That, IMO, makes systemd timer units unsuitable for daily cron jobs,
for example, which should be geared to cause as low a load spike as
possible. There are even some cron jobs that rely on run-parts'
ordering of cron jobs because they depend on each other.

This is unlikely to change since the parallel execution of timer units
is considered a feature by Upstream. <cynism>Maybe the
start-to-finish-time of cron.daily is a benchmark for system speed as
important as boot times are</cynism>.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |