Re: Please drop anacron from task-desktop

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 11:22:36AM +0100, Paride Legovini wrote:
> Hello Adrian,

Hi Paride,

> Adrian Bunk wrote on 08/03/2019:
> > On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 10:11:41PM +0100, Paride Legovini wrote:
> >> Having a useless service running is itself a downside; I second the
> >> removal.
> >
> > Please explain your usage of the word "useless".
> >
> > The output of "ls /etc/cron.daily" is not empty for me.
>
> But a few (a good part?) of them will just do nothing if you are using
> systemd, e.g.:
>
> if [ -d /run/systemd/system ]; then
>     # Skip in favour of systemd timer.
>     exit 0
> fi

on my system 3 out of 14 are doing this.

And e.g. mlocate updating its database also on a desktop/laptop that is
not runnning during the night is not useless and not having this would
be a real downside.

> This will happen more and more over time and I think it's the practice
> to favor:

The praxis to favor is to check the impact instead of blindly removing
functionality.

"happen more and more" means it might never happen 100%,
for that you would need policy making it mandatory first.

Short-term for buster, installing anacron still looks appropriate.

And compared to everything else that is running on our default desktop,
anacron does not create any noticable overhead.

> having three systems to manage the execution of periodic jobs
> (systemd timers, cron, anacron) in the default install is IMHO far ideal.

Calling anacron a separate system is not correct, it works on the normal
cron jobs (ideally this functionality should have been implemented in
cron itself).

> Paride

cu
Adrian