Re: Please drop anacron from task-desktop

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 09:47:34AM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 at 17:07:18 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> > Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> writes:
> > > Are there still many packages, that don't rely on systemd timer units?
> >
> > Presumably packages that work without systemd, but still need to
> > periodic activity?
>
> Default installations of Debian boot with systemd, and if a sysadmin
> chooses to switch to another init system, it's up to them to replace
> its functionality (or at least the parts of its functionality they
> want). Needing to install anacron in addition to sysvinit seems
> reasonable.

Yeah, but it's not something that should require a manual action --
especially considering that implementing this well is easy.

> Maybe task-desktop should depend on systemd-sysv | anacron?

Right, but with the reversed order.  This might be a bit unobvious, but:
• on all systemd installs, the dependency is moot (no matter the order)
• on non-systemd, your ordering would make apt try to switch inits instead
  of pulling in anacron
• the only case where non-first dependencies are ignored, B-Deps on official
  buildds, doesn't matter for a task package

> That doesn't *necessarily* mean you need anacron, or even cron. Many
> cron jobs now have a corresponding systemd timer; if you are running
> systemd, the cron job starts, detects that it is unnecessary, and exits,
> which is an overly-complicated way to do nothing.

Which raises a question: why would we want that redundant systemd timer?
The cron job can serve everyone, timer only systemd users.  Twice the work,
twice as many configurations to test -- for no gain.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁