Re: Git Branch Names / DEP-14

Simon McVittie writes:
> On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 at 20:40:43 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> My normal use of experimental does not involve maintaining unstable and
>> experimental branches simultaneously.
>> I know some people do more of a two-branch setup
>
> One common reason to need to use experimental more actively is if your
> upstream has a relatively long-running "latest feature development"
> branch that is explicitly not suitable to be in a stable release, such
> as dbus 1.odd.z, GNOME 3.odd.z, and Linux/Xorg/Mesa release candidates.

In such cases it might be even more appropriate to have branches like
"debian/1.odd" if they better represent the actual history, in
particular if the "debian/1.odd+2" is not a descendant of
"debian/1.odd", but an independent branch.

(One can otherwise force the new branch to be a descendant by "fake"
merges, but that is not a good idea for various reasons: it creates an
incorrect history and confuses tools that now think commits were
applies when they really were not.)

Ansgar