Git Branch Names / DEP-14 (Was: Re: Summary: Git Packaging Round 2 [comments by 11/05/2019])

On 11/5/19 9:51 PM, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
> Richard Laager <rlaager@wiktel.com> writes:
>> I'd love to see more information about a recommended branch
>> structure. FWIW, I've been using branches named for each release
>> (e.g. "sid" is the default, but I also have "buster" for a (proposed)
>> stable update, will likely soon have "buster-backports"). This works
>> really well, and also scales to also having branches for Ubuntu
>> (e.g. I have "bionic" and "cosmic" too due to some SRUs). It also
>> keeps "master" available for the upstream master branch. This seems so
>> obvious and wonderful to me, but I'm not sure how popular it is.

As I moved my first package to Salsa and was rethinking everything, I
switched from "sid" to "unstable", for reasons that will come up below.

> https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14
>
> It sounds like you're already using something similar :-)

I had forgotten about DEP-14 until it was mentioned earlier today by
Feri <wferi@debian.org>. I'll likely rename my branches again to add the
debian/ prefix, to be in compliance with DEP-14.

DEP-14 specifies three options for development releases:

debian/master (the recommended default)
debian/sid
debian/unstable

Having three names increases inconsistency between packages, which seems
to me contrary to the goal of DEP-14.

If someone is working with both unstable and experimental, then they
must use two branches to differentiate them. DEP-14 says to do so with
debian/experimental for experimental. So far, so good. For unstable,
DEP-14 says to use debian/sid or debian/unstable. Why not A) pick *one*
of those, and B) always use it, never using debian/master?

As for _which_ one (debian/sid or debian/unstable)... The DEP-14
recommended branch names for stable release are debian/CODENAME. The
recommended branch name for experimental is debian/experimental. These,
plus debian/unstable, but not debian/master or debian/sid, are
consistent with distribution names from debian/changelog and the
.changes file. [0] Therefore, it seems like one should use debian/unstable.

[0] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#id25

--
Richard