Re: [confirmation] Summary: Git Packaging Round 2 [plus weak vs strong team ownership question/proposal]

Hi,

I confirm the summary seems fair and reasonable with one
question/proposal (see below in line).

Sam Hartman <leader@debian.org> writes:

> * Exploring what current social conventions are around pushing to other
>   people's repositories in the debian group on salsa and documenting
>   them.  This is more about documenting what people do than about
>   documenting what permissions people have.

[snip]
> If you are a Debian Developer packaging a package for inclusion in
> Debian, you should store your packaging information in one repository
> per package on salsa.debian.org in the debian group.  That is you should
> create a repository under https://salsa.debian.org/debian .

[snip]
> If you are not a Debian Developer, you cannot directly create a
> repository in the debian group.  If you're willing to wait for a Debian
> Developer to create a repository for you and grant you access, do that.
> If that wait would be long enough to frustrate you or demotivate you,
> you should create a repository in a your personal namespace on
> salsa.debian.org and store your package there.

Thank you for /\ the above /\ point for non-DDs.

> By creating a repository in the debian group, you grant access to all
> developers.  That way people performing NMUs can directly commit their
> changes.  It will also make it easier if you later orphan the package to
> preserve version control history, URIs and merge request history.

I think it might be worth adopting the weak vs strong team ownership
convention that the Debian Python Team uses, namely

    * Team in Maintainers is a strong statement that fully collaborative
      maintenance is preferred. Anyone can commit to the vcs and upload
      as needed. A courtesy email to Uploaders can be nice but not
      required.

    * Team in Uploaders is a weak statement of collaboration. Help in
      maintaining the package is appreciated, commits to vcs are freely
      welcomed, but before uploading, please contact the Maintainer for
      the green light.

    https://debian-python.readthedocs.io/en/latest/dpmt-policy.html#maintainership

Would this address the concerns of everyone=no_one's responsbility in
the Debian salsa group (old collab-maint)?  If so, the question becomes
which email address to use for the Debian/collab-maint group :-)

Sincerely,
Nicholas