Re: Integration with systemd

Craig Small <csmall@dropbear.xyz> writes:
> On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 at 08:27, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

>> However, this doesn't mean that anything non-systemd must implement all
>> things that systemd does, or just die. It really doesn't make sense to
>> tell that, for example, OpenRC should be forced into implementing a
>> parser of .timer files, just because some maintainers wont care about
>> cron jobs. These cron jobs could be maintained by those who care, just
>> like with sysv-rc scripts, as a best-effort basis.

> I think this, or something like this, is the policy update the project
> needs.  I think this is a fine option, but does the project as a whole
> think so, or perhaps they do with some changes?

> At the moment, my guess is most developers have no idea what the "right"
> (e.g. what the project as a whole believe is right) solution for this.
> Should I just use systemd support only? With sysvinit? If I get bug
> reports about lack of support for one or the other how important is it?

One variation on this that's worth at least thinking about, although
perhaps it would be unworkable, is if those cron jobs, init scripts, and
other similar components that need to be maintained could be shipped in
their own Debian package.

A lot of the process friction is in getting Debian maintainers to add this
support to their packages.  Even if all concerns about testing, support,
and so forth go away, we know that this is still not painless (see, for
instance, translations, where we do *reasonably* well but where
translations can still sit in the BTS for extended periods of time).  If
it's possible to allow the people who are maintaining those files to
upload them directly, it would remove that friction and process and might
be easier to maintain.