Re: Building Debian source packages reproducibly

On 2019-10-29 08:32, Tobias Frost wrote:
On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 05:53:00PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

(...)

For example, you would not be able to do this:
   git clone salsa:something
   cd something
   make some straightforward change
   git tag    # } [1]
   git push   # }
Instead you would have to download the .origs and so on, and wait
while your machine crunched about unpacking and repacking tarballs,
applying patches, etc.

<IMHO>
I'm missing a "and then I test my package to ensure it still works before
upload" step…

I wonder how someone should test their packages when they do
not build it locally.
And if they do (as they should), the advantages you line
out are simply not there.
</IMHO>

More abstractly we do not do that for binNMUs either. My main worry here is that we are designing a solution which still precludes sourceful no-change NMUs, which would actually be the correct solution for consistent versioning across all architectures. Ubuntu exclusively does those and I still struggle how we would build such a service in Debian without facing exactly the same concerns as tag2upload. Maybe if dak itself would do it?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern