Re: Building Debian source packages reproducibly (was: Re: [RFC] Proposal for new source format)

Hi Ian,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 05:53:00PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

(...)

> For example, you would not be able to do this:
>    git clone salsa:something
>    cd something
>    make some straightforward change
>    git tag    # } [1]
>    git push   # }
> Instead you would have to download the .origs and so on, and wait
> while your machine crunched about unpacking and repacking tarballs,
> applying patches, etc.

<IMHO>
I'm missing a "and then I test my package to ensure it still works before
upload" step…

I wonder how someone should test their packages when they do
not build it locally.
And if they do (as they should), the advantages you line
out are simply not there.
</IMHO>

--
 tobi