Re: Git Packaging Round 2: SHOULD Not or MUSt NOT Github

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 01:16:26AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 9/15/19 12:06 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > There's nothing that requires you to interact with a VCS repository that you
> > don't care to.
>
> But I do care about using Git, and interacting with other DDs using it.

Cool.

> However, basically, what you're saying is that, for those who care about
> not using non-free platforms, we should just not do that anymore, as
> it's not required anyway.

No.

If this were about a non-free Subversion hosting service, then yes, I'd
agree. But we're talking about git here, which is a distributed VCS
service.

If you don't want to deal with a non-free hosting service, you can:

- Clone the git repository.
- Push it to the free git hosting service of your choice.
- Push a branch to that git hosting service with the changes you wish to
  make.
- Use git request-pull to send a pull request to the maintainer.

(Alternatively, if using salsa, for the first two steps you can use the
"mirror repository" feature of GitLab)

> That's simply not fair: I care more about software freedom, and
> therefore, I'd be left aside, not being able to use Git when
> interacting with others.

Except you're not.

The above will require that the maintainer on the non-free hosting
service do some more work, yes; that's correct. However, "git
request-pull" will explain to that maintainer how to do that work, and
it's their own fault for using a non-free service to begin with.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard