Re: Git Packaging Round 2: SHOULD Not or MUSt NOT Github

On 9/14/19 6:59 AM, Balasankar "Balu" C wrote:
> But it shouldn't matter to the project that I do my packaging work in
> GitLab.com or GitHub.com because as far as Debian is concerned, as long
> as others can contribute without having an account in that service - I
> should not be forbidden using them. That is, if I come in and say "I
> won't accept any patches submitted over BTS, but only GitHub PRs", the
> project has every right to kick the package out of Debian or fork it.
> But as long as I continue supporting people using BTS, I should be fine
> using whatever I want as my primary platform.

Could you explain why you'd have VCS fields then, if not to advertise
what the addres of your Git? Isn't this an invitation to use the
platform you're pointing at, as a mean to modify your package?

> So will the GR be
> "You must not do any sort of contribution to Debian using non-free
> software/hardware"
>
> or
>
> "You can use anything you want to contribute to Debian, but there should
> be a way for other people to contribute to your work in Debian without
> compromising on their freedom" ? (This translates to my words in the
> beginning of this reply - patches over BTS must not be rejected by a
> maintainer)

Of course, the later. I don't care if a contributor is using Debian in a
VM running on Windows, as long as he/she doesn't force me to do the
same. That's the same spirit with using a non-free Git platform.

It is a real life experience that I had to touch horribly maintained
packages by unknown contributors, with Vcs-Git:
https://github.com/<foo>/<bar>, missing commits not matching the
archive, and no response from the maintainer to the BTS (even for RC
bugs). The last occurrence of this was pyroute2, which I pushed into the
DPMT (and still no reply from that past maintainer). I hate seeing this,
and don't want this anymore, though it happens again, and again, and
again. So, the only way to get out of this is enforcement, like it or not.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)