Re: should Debian add itself to https://python3statement.org ?

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 16:01:54 +0100
Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> That statement is a *pledge* to drop support for python2 by the end of
> 2020.  Have we in fact made such a pledge ?  I think I may have missed
> the memo that python2 would be removed from bullseye.

""He's dead, Jim" (Doctor Leonard McCoy)

> I did some searching and found this
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2019/07/msg00080.html
> which is a sane-looking transition plan but doesn't seem to have a
> timeframe and doesn't seem to contemplate removal of the actual
> python2 interpreter.
It doesn't really matter. In fact python2 is dead for years, if we
start now to make a plan we are years to late. The timeframe is _now:.

> FTAOD I don't have an opinion about whether bullseye *should* ship
> without python2.  Obviously dropping it would not be desirable from
> users' pov, but maintaining an ancient thing by ourselves would not be
> desirable either.  I think I trust the Debian Python team to make that
> tradeoff.
I have an opinion. If we define stable following Jack Cohen, python2
can stay forever - if you forgOt:
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~
Jack Cohen

> But we need to be clear what's going on and communicate early.  If
> python2 is going out of bullseye then there are a lot of bugs that
> should probably be marked rc fairly soon...
We can't do better now - planning of the removal and preparation for
would been a task for the buster release cycle - this chance is
gone. But is is no reason to remove dead things now. And the last
reminder is the python clock:

Let me copy and paste the content of https://pythonclock.org/ at the
time of writing:

> Hell, yes, Python 2.7 will retire in...
> 0
> Years
> 3
> Months
> 19
> Days
> 4
> Hours
> 59
> Minutes
> 44
> Seconds
>

> What's all this, then?
> Python 2.7 will not be maintained past 2020. Originally, there was no
> official date. Recently, that date has been updated to January 1,
> 2020.
> This clock has been updated accordingly. My original idea was to throw
> a Python 2 Celebration of Life party at PyCon 2020, to celebrate
> everything Python 2 did for us. That idea still stands. (If this
> sounds
> interesting to you, email pythonclockorg@gmail.com).
>
> Python 2, thank you for your years of faithful service.
>
> Python 3, your time is now.
>
> How do I get started?
> If the code you care about is still on Python 2, that's totally
> understandable. Most of PyPI's popular packages now work on Python 2
> and 3, and more are being added every day. Additionally, a number of
> critical Python projects have pledged to stop supporting Python 2
> soon.
> To ease the transition, the official porting guide has advice for
> running Python 2 code in Python 3.

Only another harsh comment:
So what do you expect - i kown this page from the beginning. If it is
surprising for the Debian project that these guys are serious about it
we really should adjust the perception of the environment around us.

I for myself have two important python2 projects that are not migrated
right now - and i will migrate them if really needed because it is no
fun to do so - so it depends on Debian - but i'm dead without both
projects, so i'm in fact prepared, only to lazy to do it now.

> thanks,
> Ian.

Cheers Alf

--
Alf Gaida
BDBF C688 EFAD BA89 5A9F  464B CD28 0A0B 4D72 827C