Re: Git Packaging Round 2: When to Salsa

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

>     Ansgar> On Thu, 2019-09-12 at 08:14 -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Ian> 1. The maintainer's git repository branch format must be
>     Ian> documented.  Otherwise another contributor has to guess.  This
>     Ian> could be done either by doing maintainer uploads with dgit
>     Ian> (since recent versions of dgit include the maintainer branch
>     Ian> format information in the git tags), or perhaps by writing
>     Ian> something in README.source.
>     >>
>     >> Makes sense.  My take is discussion on debian-devel strongly
>     >> supports making it easier to figure out what branch format people
>     >> are using.
>
>     Ansgar> I don't see much value in this requirement (besides
>     Ansgar> additional work).  One should look at the repository anyway
>     Ansgar> whan planning to do changes (to match the existing style
>     Ansgar> used); one would naturally see how files are organized.
>
> I actually find it annoying to figure out which  branch format something
> is.
> I do the work you suggest, but automation or documentation would help me
> as a developer.

I just went through a batch of 240+ team uploads (because *sigh* no
arch-all bin:NMUs). I can confirm it's annoying to have to figure the
the git workflows involved when working at even this modest scale.  If
we're not going to enable people to work on multiple packages, then I
(still) don't really see the point of the Debian salsa team.