Re: Git Packaging Round 2: When to Salsa

On Thu, 2019-09-12 at 08:14 -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Ian> 1. The maintainer's git repository branch format must be
>     Ian> documented.  Otherwise another contributor has to guess.  This
>     Ian> could be done either by doing maintainer uploads with dgit
>     Ian> (since recent versions of dgit include the maintainer branch
>     Ian> format information in the git tags), or perhaps by writing
>     Ian> something in README.source.
>
> Makes sense.
> My take is discussion on debian-devel strongly supports making it easier
> to figure out what branch format people are using.

I don't see much value in this requirement (besides additional work).
One should look at the repository anyway whan planning to do changes
(to match the existing style used); one would naturally see how files
are organized.  We already had tons of packages shipping a
README.source stating "this packages uses quilt, ..." before which I
also didn't find very valuable; this seems pretty similar.

If dgit provides a program to figure this out, people interested in
obtaining the information automatically can just extract and use that.
(Using dgit to upload packages is sadly incompatible with best
practices around packaging.)

Ansgar