Re: Mozilla Firefox DoH to CloudFlare by default (for US users)?

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> writes:

> On the privacy topic...
>
> Slides: https://irtf.org/anrw/2019/slides-anrw19-final44.pdf
> Paper: https://dl.acm.org/authorize.cfm?key=N687437

And also section 8 of
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reid-doh-operator-00

> And you can get to the video recording from the ANRW 2019 pages: https://irtf.org/anrw/2019/program.html
>
> We can discuss (and it has been discussed) ad nauseam, but the point
> is that nobody (certainly I am not) is asking for crippling DoH, but I
> just strongly believe it’s in the line with other Debian work that we
> should not send data to 3rd party DNS service without explicit user
> consent.

I agree, FWIW. User consent is required.

I for one, do trust my ISPs a lot more than I trust Cloudflare or
Google, simply based on the jurisdiction.

> Otherwise it doesn’t make any sense to remove external links to logos
>and JavaScript from the documentation and then send everything to one
>single US-based provider.

Exactly. I'd be worried if anything in Debian came preconfigured with
DNS servers of any kind.

Bjørn