Re: Mozilla Firefox DoH to CloudFlare by default (for US users)?

The entire DNS root zone is only 1 MB compressed and is updated about
once a day. It would be even better for privacy if the whole root zone
were distributed via HTTPS, as the initiator would not reveal to the
server any information about what TLD is being looked up.

There are currently ~1500 TLDs in the root zone. Dividing 1 MB by the
number of TLDs, this is ~700 bytes per TLD, which is roughly the amount
of bandwidth required by a query/response pair of UDP DNS packets to
obtain the delegation for a TLD.

The size of the DNS root zone could also be reduced if it were signed by
an ECC algorithm rather than RSA.

If the ZONEMD resource record (draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest) were
standardized and deployed in the root zone, it would allow for
cryptographic verification of the entire contents of the root zone
regardless of the source. So it would not even be necessary to obtain
the root zone from the "official" root name server infrastructure.

That moves the problem down a level to the TLDs, where it is
impracticable to distribute copies of all TLD zone files. So a better
question to ask would be whether any of the DNS TLD servers plan to
implement any of the DNS transport privacy options. That moves the
problem down another level, etc.

The benefit of encrypting the resolver to authoritative side of the DNS
protocol is that it makes it possible to deploy "non stub" caching DNS
resolvers to individual hosts without exposing the plaintext lookup
traffic to either network observers or a centralized resolver operator
such as an ISP or cloud provider.

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds@debian.org