Re: On the Removal of src:tensorflow

On 2019-09-05 10:44, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> On 2019/09/05 05:55, Yao Wei wrote:
> I filed it and intend to keep it open for the foreseeable future. Based
> on Mo's original post in this thread, I decided that it will be better
> to look for alternatives to DeepSpeech (especially since all my intended
> use cases rely on very limited dictionaries).

The horrible fact is that one cannot find any decent alternative to
deep learning, especially on the problems impossible for a
non-intelligent
algorithm to solve. There are countless examples about things that only
deep learning could solve (traditional machine learning could solve a
portion of them but generally deep learning does the best).

For ASR (Automatic Speech Recognition) you will find nothing except for
deep learning among the best implementations. Traditional models
for ASR, such as HMM (hidden markov chain) are just far less accurate
compared to deep learning, as reported by papers.

One day ML-Policy will eventually show its sanity.

> Things change though and the Tensorflow project might mature in a few
> years and the project might have better methods available for building it.

Tensorflow 1.X is a long-term support release and it's basically mature
enough. It will be maintained for a while even after the 2.X release.
An energetic developer could work on the abandoned cmake build and
produce packages enough for supporting applications such as deepspeech.

> I think a link to Mo's mail is sufficient on the DeepSpeech ITP bug
> report (and related ITPs). Less is probably more when it comes to wiki
> pages at this point.

:-)