Re: Consensus Call: Git Packaging Round 1

On 8/27/19 8:52 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Alf> There are things i really like about PRs or MRs - they can be
>     Alf> reviewed, commented, changed without problems and fast.
>
> And as Sean pointed out, it's hard to understand the history of the
> changes and comments after they hppened.  What happens when I'm trying
> to review a MR three years later and the MR was rebased 4 times during
> the lifetime of the MR prior to merge.

As long as a MR was not werged, the history of its rebases doesn't
matter at all. People might even create a new MR with the same code
changes but a completely different history.

What matter is that the MR commits are not being changed after merging
them - so you want to forbid people to push rebases to your git
repository. Otherwise you have exactly the same amount of history you
keep in your repository when you discuss patch files in the BTS.