Re: tag2upload service architecture and risk assessment - draft v2

PS: Please stop sending my copies of e-mails, I explicitely ask not to
by specifying Mail-Followup-To.

Hi Ian

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 12:10:44PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Tracing the archive contents back to uploader signatures is already
> complicated because of the difficulty of understanding what an
> appropriate maintainer signing key is for any particular .dsc.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  We have keyrings, we have
other information.  If the .dsc is signed by a person, you can verify
it.

>                                                                 With
> my proposal it indeed becomes more complicated.

Then make it less complicated?

> But I have to ask:
> Is the uploader signature on the .dsc really the thing we want to
> trace the .dsc back to ?  Usually nowadays the uploader .dsc signature
> is made on the output of some git-buildpackage rune (or automatically,
> by that rune).

Yes.  So he certifies that he wants to upload exactly this version of
the code, not something else.  And that is exactly what we are talking
about: do we have exactly the same source as intended by the uploader.

> Typically the human uploader doesn't intend to release some particular
> .dsc; that's an output artefact.  The uploader intends to release some
> git commit.

No, he wants to release a particular version of the code.  Git is just a
transport medium.

> So the .dsc should be traceable to that git commit.  Currently it is
> not.  With my proposal the .dsc is traceable to the git history,
> including the uploader's signed tag.

Well, providing this information just needs another field in the .dsc,
not overall changes in the process.

Bastian

--
There are always alternatives.
		-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3